Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Energy Usage, Conservation and Weather Stripping
Reload this Page >

T&G cedar ceiling, need to fill voids where ceiling tops wall

Old 01-12-08, 09:02 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a cedar home. there is no attic space. The cedar ceiling continues from inside the house to the outside and provides the outside overhang. there are small triangle shaped voids where each ceiling board mates and crosses the wall. I can see light through these voids at night if the lights are on in the house. My heat loss is bad. I calked and painted 3 years ago and the calk has shrunk. the voids are open again. I cannot use the canned foam insulation as this would make a terible mess. The walls are about 5 inches thick as is the length of each void.

I thought about takeing small peices of r13 packing each hole and then installing a couple of the soft orange ear plugs, installing all materials from the inside. (The voids are all a little different in size.) The voids would then be plugged and I would not make a mess of the beutiful fiinish of my ceiling or the top of walls. I am open to all ideas, please let me know.
Thank's
Millmnt

Old 01-12-08, 09:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 933 Votes on 852 Posts
Clean off all the old caulk. Don't bother stuffing fiberglass insulation in there... fill the void with foam backer rod instead (sold in stores along with the caulking and weatherstriping). Then recaulk using caulk such as Sashco Big Stretch. One of the colors should match your cedar... perhaps woodtone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: