1920's wood door & adjacent windows

Old 03-04-08, 07:24 AM
jkm
1920's wood door & adjacent windows

I have a 1920's brick house with the original door. On either side of the door are wood panels with a window above, making the door very attractive. But, we have a storm door and panels in front of the door and windows. We will be selling the house soon, and have been told that we could increase "curb appeal" by removing the storm door and panels. I don't want to remove the storm door until I feel confident that I can make up for the energy loss though weather stripping and caulking. Opinions on how possible this is? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-08, 04:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Storm doors on such door units do detract from their beauty, and removing it, storing it elsewhere may be a good move. The door can be sealed using a variety of seals, and you would have to look at what is available and what your need is in order to do it right. Either changing the threshold or installing a door sweep will help with air infiltration under it. You can post a couple of pictures of the door and threshold on a site such as photobucket.com and copy/paste the HTML code to your reply post and we can see what you see.

Old 03-18-08, 07:01 PM
Smile

I have the same arrangement and my wife wanted me to remove the storm windows on the side windows(which i did-of course). there is probably some heat/air loss there, but i haven't noticed a big change in my bill( and my wife is happier which makes me look good). the door has a half wooden storm door on it that is of the period and looks great.