Residential Steel Door Bottom Weatherstrip

Old 07-01-08, 06:55 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Residential Steel Door Bottom Weatherstrip

I have several Wayne Dalton doors that are wood core with steel covering. The weatherstrip on the door bottom is breaking down and I want to replace it.

The weatherstrip has 3 "fins" on the bottom that sweep/seal the threshold and 2 barbed fins on the top that slide in to the two kerfs on the bottom of the door. It is held on the door bottom by friction fit in the kerfs.

I've been on many sites, but none seem to have the Wayne Dalton entry door products. Everything seems to be WD garage door related.

There are options for Ceco (mostly commercial), Johnson (can't seem to find their site) and Stanley. Did WD sell the entry door line to Stanley or someone else?

Anyone know where to buy this material?

Thanks for any help.

Old 07-02-08, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Never heard of WD entry doors, but what you describe sounds like the semi-standard door bottom you find on Stanley, Masonite and many other type doors. Try any Home center or good hardware store..they should have it. Since Stanley was purchased by Masonite, you may find them labeled as such.

This is one common replacement.....

http://www.mdteam.com/products.php?category=1658

Old 07-02-08, 06:37 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you. MD sweeps in this style never showed on any searches. Might be the key word mix. I really appreciate the help and will pursue this lead.

Old 07-02-08, 06:47 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
I know the problem when looking. It's because the "correct" name is door bottom, though they are almost always referred to as sweeps. Probably has something to do with how they are attached.

Even when you find one that fits, you may have to trim off part of the barbed fins to make it fit, sometimes the kerf isn't deep or long enough. And I always put some caulk under the outer edge of the door bottom and tack the ends with brass brads.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: