Sliding Door Weather Stripping - HELP!!!

Old 07-06-08, 04:36 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sliding Door Weather Stripping - HELP!!!

Ok, I am completely clueless how to proceed. My sliding glass door has a gap between the fixed part of the door and the sliding part. I have already ruined the one piece of V seal that I got so before I buy and ruin another I need help.
I get that you fold the seal and as you pull the paper off of the tape, you stick it to the door but.... exactly where and to which surface of the door? Does it go on the part that slides or the part that is fixed and where on either? Is there anywhere that I can find pictures of sliding glass doors that may show this? It is probably a stupid question but being a recently divorced female, there is no one to ask...

Thanks for whatever help you can give me...

Old 07-18-08, 07:53 AM
O
I have the same problem with my door. It's old and pretty leaky. My door does have a brush type gasket that I think is mounted on the fixed door frame where the fixed door frame is right behind the sliding door frame when the sliding door is closed. The bristles on the brush gasket almost, but not quite touch the sliding door frame when you close the sliding door.

I'll confirm where that type of gasket is mounted exactly and post back (I won't be home until tonight so it may be tonight or tomorrow before I post back). I understand your frustration!

Old 07-18-08, 12:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 933 Votes on 852 Posts
There are hundreds of different brands of patio doors and if you take the number of years that patio doors have been made, there are probably thousands of models. Since all of them are unique, it would be hard for us to give either of you specific advice about your dilemma.

Generally, though... patio doors will have an interlock where the 2 doors overlap. Bend your fingers on both your hands so they point back toward you. Now turn your arms horizontally and interlock your left and right hand together- THAT'S similar to how most patio doors interlock when they are closed.

So examine a couple things. Bring the door closed, and look at the middle of the doors where they meet. Does everything look straight? The sliding door and the fixed panel should both appear to be straight with one another. Most often, if doors are not interlocking properly, it's either because the door has come off it's rollers, or maybe the rollers are out of adjustment. Raising or lowering the two rollers under the operating panel can usually straighten out any crookedness at the interlock.

Not sure if that will help you out any, but it might be a start.

Old 07-18-08, 03:33 PM
O
Xsleeper is right. I checked mine door and I see they come together exactly like he said. Another way of putting it is imagining the letter "M" being stacked on top of the letter "W", but off center a little so they lock together. Mine didn;t have gasket material there, but it is real loose. The brush bristle type gasket was on the fixed door, but on the outside to seal the opening to the screen door- my mistake.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: