Garage Door Weather Stripping

Old 07-27-08, 12:28 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Garage Door Weather Stripping

My garage door has some serious leaks around it. For one thing, one of the panels (metal) is bent, which prevents it from sealing. Also, I put new weather stripping that you can buy at HD on the sides, but it still has light and air coming around that. Is there another, better way to seal around a garage door? Do I need to call a garage door company to get the panel fixed? Could they seal it up better than I could?

Thanks!

Old 07-27-08, 12:43 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
AdamC

When you say weatherstripping on the sides, is it the solid vinyl "board" with the vinyl fin, or is it the flexible vinyl coil weatherstrip?

Old 07-27-08, 02:49 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
AdamC

When you say weatherstripping on the sides, is it the solid vinyl "board" with the vinyl fin, or is it the flexible vinyl coil weatherstrip?
It's the board with the vinyl fin, similar to a door sweep. I put it on the sides and top.

Old 07-27-08, 03:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Ok, that should seal as well as you can expect. Don't worry too much about the light. The fin will let some light thru even if its tight to the door. If wind is blowing thru, the door may be moving back from the force of the wind. I always installed the w-strip so that it pushes against the door pretty hard, maybe a 45 degree angle on the fin. If the door is installed correctly, it will move away from the opening as soon as it starts to open.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: