how to remove calking

Old 09-18-08, 12:00 PM
how to remove calking

I'm not sure if Iím in the right forum. If not let me know and I will re-direct my question.

My home is vinyl sided. There is calking around my exterior doors and windows. On some of the doors and windows the calking is on the vinyl siding. Is there a way to get the calk off the siding? Some kind of remover solvent? I think most of the calking is acrylic latex, some is Silicone. The siding has groves in it like wood. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-08, 02:12 PM
3M does make a product called "caulk remover".I haven't read the directions etc but do know it is designed to remove most types of caulk.I suspect big boxes won't stock this but you might take a look.I do know it is stocked in Ace hardware warehouses and therefore is either stocked or available to the stores.

Old 09-18-08, 06:04 PM
make a nice sharp scraper out of a small piece of plexiglass,works great and won't scratch

good luck and have a great day

Old 09-19-08, 08:43 PM
Between caulk remover, a utility knife and a painters 5 in 1 you should to get that stuff off.

Old 09-20-08, 12:23 PM
wiil the calk remover and scraper work on WOOD GRAIN VINYL SIDING without damaging the vinal????

thanks for all the suggestions. I'm looking for the remover and will give it a try.

Old 09-20-08, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
The caulk remover SHOULD soften it enuf that you can use a brush (like a toothbrush) and a wet rag to wipe it off.

I'd be real careful with a plexi type scraper, if thats beveled like a regular scraper, it can cut like a razor. The cheap plastic putty knife type would be my recommendation.

I would absolutely test the remover in a hidden area to make sure it won't damage the siding. Most acrylic latex caulk should come off with hot soapy water and a toothbrush type brush. Silicone may be tougher, and I'd check the instructions on the remover. The problem is the remover is really made for things like tubs and countertops, not outside in the sun and heat. It may dry out too much.

How bad is this really? Like smeared all around the window area, or just not as neat as you'd like?

Old 09-20-08, 01:25 PM
To follow up on the remover being used in sun: remover products of any type should never be used in direct sun or high heat situations.Especially in the sun,the chemicals and solvents in the product can evaporate before the product itself has done it's job.Sometimes the sludge created will dry to the surface it's being removed from.

I doubt the product will damage vinyl and I would definately check the instructions concerning silicone caulk.Latex based caulking should not be an issue.Plastic putty knives cost less than a dollar usually so making one isn't all that valuable.