Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Basement windows lead to cold first floor bedroom?

MA

10-07-08, 12:33 PM   #1  
Basement windows lead to cold first floor bedroom?

Hello,

I'm looking for some more advice here with my 2 yr old daughter's bedroom, which is by far the coolest room in the house. It is on a northeast corner of the house here in MA, so it doesn't get the most sun. But I've installed insulation in the walls and ceiling..its still chilly. I also found a gap in the closet where the vent pipe runs into the attic (one floor ranch house), so I've stuffed fiberglass around that gap. The cold air return seem to work OK, as it sucks up a tissue when the heat is on. That leaves me to wonder if the two basement windows that are directly underneath this bedroom are causing the chillyness of this room? They're original single pane windows and rusted shut Is it worth my investment to tear those out and replace with new windows? I caulked around these windows, even and also put in batts in the basement ceiling underneath this room, but it helped just a little. Thanks for any other ideas!
Greg

Sponsored Links

ME

10-25-08, 03:04 PM   #2  
stop the heat loss

Hi Greg,
There are two issues, the heat going in and the heat going out. Always start by reducing the heat loss. If you can give us some more details. How much insulation in the walls and ceiling and batts or blown-in. How many windows, size, single or double pane. You said corner room. Sheetrock y/n and type of siding. Number of supply registers. Full basement I assume. Concrete floor or dirt floor in basement. Are the basement walls insulated. Basement temperature. Total house size and How old is the house. That will get us started.
For air leaks like the one around the vent pipe, use caulking, foam, but not fiberglass as air still moves through fiberglass. They have fire rated caulk and foam to keep the inspectors happy.
Don't tear out those basement windows yet, your efforts will be better spent elsewhere, to be determined.
Bud

10-27-08, 10:07 AM   #3  
Good list by Bud. I would be very curious to know the basement temperature compared to the bedroom temp. I would think a reading first thing in the morning and again late afternoon early evening would be very helpful.
Ed

Search this Thread