Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Thermostat setting

10-27-08, 06:17 PM   #1  
Thermostat setting

Hi, I am wondering the best method to minimize natural gas usage during the winter. I have heard two different methods for setting a thermostat that is part of a hot water baseboard heating system.

One way is to set the thermostat at one temperature 24hrs a day. The other is to turn down the temperature during the day when we are not home and at night.

Not sure of the best way? Any advice?

Gaintfan65

Sponsored Links

VA

10-27-08, 06:48 PM   #2  
Consider a programmable thermostat that will allow you to tailor your settings to when you need heat the most and turn the system down or even off when you do not need it.

These are generally easily installed and set up.there are several types depending on your needs.they will work on most systems.

ME

10-30-08, 05:48 PM   #3  
I have a chart to give me the estimated savings for reducing the average house temperature. If you average 12 hours at 68 degrees and 12 hours at 62 degrees, your overall average temperature would be 65 degrees. A 3 degree set back will reduce your energy requirements by 11%. A 5 degree set back -- 19%. By using the programmable stats, as spdavid mentioned, you can make this process almost transparent by anticipating the daily changes. All systems have a lag time, so you can turn the temp down one half hour before you turn in and set it to start heating one half hour before you get up. Same for to and from work. Depending upon your daily activity you can select a 7 day schedule or a 5 day plus 2 if you get week ends off.
The only exception where setting back the thermostat seems less effective, is in super insulated homes or where radiant floor heat takes hours to respond.
One additional note would be to air seal and add insulation. It saves on energy and adds value and comfort to your home.
Bud

VA

10-31-08, 04:48 AM   #4  
With your system you need to set it at the desired temp and leave it alone.

Search this Thread