weatherstripping/insulating around garage door??

Old 11-13-08, 05:10 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
weatherstripping/insulating around garage door??

Hi all, wanted to ask a question on keeping out some weather around garage doors. I have a 3 car garage that both double and single doors have a couple inch gap at the very bottom on either side of the door. The gap is at the floor in the concrete cutout where the door rests and about 2-3 inches over to where the concrete lip for the door was poured. I bought that side and top rubber weather stripping kit at home depot but that won't really help down at the bottom in the corner of each door. Any suggestions? I get frogs that come in through there, spiders, etc etc. thanks much.

Old 11-14-08, 06:49 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
Sealing at the bottom of the doors has two issues. Is the door closing squarely, it can usually be adjusted left and right to balance the tension. And is the concrete level? The rubber gaskets for the bottom can only take care of an inch or so of variation.

If the floor is very uneven, then grinding down the high spots or filling in the low spots is one solution. The other is making the bottom of your door fit the shape of your floor.

Let us know where you feel the problem is and what approach sounds best.
Bud

Old 11-14-08, 02:58 PM
K
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It sounds like you need a new bottom seal for your garage door. I am going to assume that you have steel doors. There are a few different types of bottom seal for steel garage doors, so it depends on which kind you need. If you open your garage door, then look at the bottom you will see what I am referring to.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 12-11-08 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Removed website
Old 11-14-08, 03:09 PM
T
Also available are garage door thresholds in rubber and aluminum. See at http://www.elite-xpressions.com/prod...thresholds.htm or http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPR...?PARTNUM=32995

Photo Credit: Woodworker's Supply

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: