Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

cost for home insulation

NJ

11-28-08, 07:56 AM   #1  
cost for home insulation

Can someone just give me a very rough ball park estimate what the following should cost in the northeast?

Background - an old victorian house, circa 1900. 3 bedrooms, 1 1/2 baths. Basement is field stone type in decent shape and used only for laundry. The attic has no liveable use and is insulated with rather useless pink fiberglass on top of floor board, nothing under. The attic drop down door is sealed wtih plastic sheet.

Note - I did replace the single pane windows.

1. Attic (640 sq. ft). Air leaks - seal ducts, top plates, balloon framed walls. Insulation floor using cellulose with borax. Seal drop down attic door.

2. Walls (1900 sq. ft). Insulation, dense pack cavities I believe with cellulose blown in.

I'm thinking that might make the house air tight enough without the high cost of doing anything to the basement.

Sponsored Links

ME

11-28-08, 03:20 PM   #2  
Hi netmouse, I'm watching your post to see if anyone can give you a rough estimate. Unfortunately, your timing is poor. You and a million other people are trying to get things done before the real cold sets in. What you are planning sounds like the right steps, but do get to that basement, especially is your heating system is down there.
Good Luck
Bud

Search this Thread