Does a Ceiling Fan Help Save $$$

Old 12-03-08, 05:42 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does a Ceiling Fan Help Save $$$

I have a 3 year old story and a half home with a 21 ft. ceiling in the living room. It seems that my natural gas forced air furnace is always running and my heating bills are quite high. I've sealed every leak that I can find but the furnace still runs a lot. The house has quite a few windows so I'm thinking that's why it's cold and runs. I was told that running the ceiling fan will cut down on the heating bills. I tested the temperature at the thermostat in the living room and as high up as I could get up the stairs and there was only a 1 degree difference (this was almost at the ceiling). Will running the fan constantly help with the enery comsumption and will that offset the cost of running the fan? Should the fan run at a low speed or more of a medium speed to push the air around?

Thanks for your help

Old 12-03-08, 07:04 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
It's a trade off between moving some warm air down to where u can enjoy it and suffering the increased heat loss from circulating air and the cooling effect on you. Doesn't sound like a lot of extra heat up there, so I would suggest you continue to resolve the heat loss issues. A well insulated home will have as much as 10 degrees difference between thermostat and ceiling, with 21 ft. You're not seeing that.

There is a long list of things to check and insulate to improve what you have. Then there are major upgrades that will be needed to get to the max. I didn't notice if you listed the area where you live, but provide some more details and we will help.
Bud

Old 12-04-08, 05:24 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Bud9051,

I live in the Ann Arbor, Michigan area. I would be interested in hearing some of your ideas as far as insulating my home better. I know I have blown in insulation and I can't get above some of the ceiling area but I was thinking of inside windows to cut the draft but the wife isn't real crazy about that due to how it looks. There are no ceiling fans in the upstairs rooms. The windows that I have are vinyl frames with about 1/2 inch gap between the glass panes. I believe these are just cheap builder windows. It would be very expensive to replace all of the windows in the house so with the economy the way it is in Michigan, I don't think that's an option right now.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 12-05-08, 07:02 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
A basic DIY energy audit can be very informative. When you know where your energy is going, it becomes easy to target your efforts and dollars. I usually direct people to a web calculator that is basic, but easy to use. Just a couple of blanks that you might need assistance on and I can help.
Home Heat Loss Calculator
If you would like to try it, print out a blank, fill in what you can and then post any questions. Ann Arbor use HDD @ 6500. See what you think.
Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: