Replace garage door bottom seal

Old 12-03-08, 08:40 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Replace garage door bottom seal

I am trying to replace the bottom seal on a 16' steel garage door and got the old one out and have the replacement T shaped seal. But the bottom lift brackets on the garage door, that holds the rollers, is in the way. I can't just slide the new one into the seal retainer. Is there a way to loosen that bracket? How do you get the new seal to be able to slide into both T grooves?

Old 12-11-08, 09:00 PM
W
Here is what you do with those dumb things: Take a grinder & cut them off! That what I did. Had no "mechanical" value being there anyway and just screw up the bottom seal.

Another thing is you might add some 1 1/4 concrete crack fill rod at each end to stop the rubber seal from developing "memory squish" and to fix en-even areas.

Old 12-17-08, 07:55 AM
N
Garage with water always

Hi
My garage after rain or winter storm always has a patch of water and with cars coming in and out makes it so dirty, any advice how to seal and prevent water coming from outside, Thanks

Old 12-17-08, 09:41 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Newtohome....
If your current bottom seal is in good shape, you may want to consider adding a garage threshold. I had a similar issue during heavy rains, had to put towels down to keep water from being driven under the door. Search for "Tsunami Seal", I think that is one of the better brands. Got mine off an Amazon vendor for about $60 for a 17 ft length. Do plenty of searching...prices varied by as much as $40 depending on length. Mine has been great for 18 months. After I installed it, I put some "dams" at the ends using silicone caulk. No water at all now. Cleanliness of the concrete and the bottom of the seal is key. No oil or dirt allowed.

This won't do much good for water and snow dripping off the cars of course. And the area under the door needs to be relatively flat to begin with. If you have large gaps under the existing bottom seal, that would need to be addressed first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: