Building a Fireplace Insert

Old 12-10-08, 11:04 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Building a Fireplace Insert

I am an experienced welder who wants to build my own firebox for a home indoor fireplace. I can't find blueprints or specs on the web. Does anyone know a good site for these?

Chris

Old 12-17-08, 03:04 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
CStross,

Welcome to the forums.

I appreciate your desire and abilities, but there are SO MANY EPA regs governing inserts and woodstoves, and so much liability involved, you are NOT going to find the specs and plans that you are looking for.

My suggestion is that you buy an approved insert and then personalize the face of it with your welding abilities, without altering or compromising the internal workings of the unit.

Old 12-17-08, 11:53 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You also need to consult with a chimney professional to make sure your chimney is clean and may or may not need a lining, proper crown, and cap. You also need to check with local building code office re: any local requirements. As suggested, DIY may be in violation of lots of standards and rules. The best bet is to check out condition of chimney, crown, and cap and purchase an approved fire insert. This is important for the protection of the investment in your home and your family's safety.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: