Foamed-in-place insulation

Old 12-22-08, 03:39 PM
Smile Foamed-in-place insulation

Hi,

I live in the Philadelphia area and had a guy quote me to inject "Tripolymer" foamed-in-place insulation into the space between my brick veneer outer wall and the inner wall of my house. The space is about 1.5 inches wide and he says it will help seal the building envelope as well as give me an R-5 to R-8 insulation blanket on the walls of my house. The foam is relatively new I think, it's not the expanding polyurethane type, but rather a water-based, pre-expanded type, I think similar to Retrofoam, which I've also found online. My concern is whether it could be harmful to fill in that space between the brick and the inside wall in terms of moisture build-up and so forth. Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-08, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Posted a reply to your post in the masonry forum.

Old 12-22-08, 07:16 PM
Foamed-in-place insulation

Probably a bad idea.

Dose the peddler have any long term reuslts on the foam shrinkage?

There are bigger problem than the properties of the faom and they to the long term effects and the liveability of the home.

Look at the masonry forum.

Dick

Old 01-02-09, 06:12 PM
Bad Idea

The 1 1/2" gap behind the brick veneer is required to be there to allow condensed moisture from within the structure as well as liquid water that penetrates the brick to find its way out through the brick weep holes.

Also. most injected foams provide a minimum of R-7 per inch. This foam provides less than half that and is not a good bang for the buck as far as foam insulations go.

Old 01-02-09, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by manhattan42 View Post
The 1 1/2" gap behind the brick veneer is required to be there to allow condensed moisture from within the structure as well as liquid water that penetrates the brick to find its way out through the brick weep holes.

Also. most injected foams provide a minimum of R-7 per inch. This foam provides less than half that and is not a good bang for the buck as far as foam insulations go.
I will disagree with some of this. If this is a closed cell foam then you will not have to worry about the weep holes because water will not get past the brick. Also as long as there is no VB on the inside the foam will be the VB and will keep walls dry. I do agree that there is not much R- value there.