Door wxstripping - magnetic non-kerf

Old 12-22-08, 08:56 PM
Door wxstripping - magnetic non-kerf

I'm looking to replace some old and beat-up weatherstripping around my exterior door but couldn't find a direct replacement at my local home centers. The stripping I have is the magnetic kind, and is stapled into the stop from the side - all I found at stores was the kerf-in kind - but the stop does not have a kerf cut into it. See below for a cross-section:

Has anyone seen weatherstripping like this before (colored red for emphasis)? I'm wondering if its worth trying to locate it or if I should just go with the non-magnet kind somehow... any ideas??

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-08, 05:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I did install this type "refrigerator" style sealing on a metal front door a long time ago, and really was impressed with it. You have to get it aligned just right, but once done it stops air infiltration. Now, as to where you can find it today, no idea, sorry. Just thought I'd reconfirm that it does work (on a metal door only, of course). Hope you have good luck locating it.

Old 12-25-08, 09:44 PM
Hmmm that's kind of a bummer. I have been impressed with this type as well. I am willing to go with a replacement of a different kind (eg, non magnetic) but would really like to avoid having to do a kerf cut or replace the stop. I don't have the equipment to make the cut (and Santa didnt get my letter apparently). Any suggestions for a replacement of a different kind (rubber, vinyl, some other gasket)? Some pros or cons?

Thanks once again.

Search this Thread