Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Thermal camera - borrow or rent?

01-21-09, 10:28 AM   #1  
Thermal camera - borrow or rent?

Anybody know where i could get ahold of a thermal camera to review my house insulation?

Sponsored Links

ME

01-21-09, 05:42 PM   #2  
Some of the hi-tech shops rent them for home inspections, but with shipping and rental charges you could probably find a local energy auditor who provides simple IR inspections. I'm about the lowest I've seen at $99, but some are available around $150 to $200. Remember, you get an auditor to go with it and that can be very important in interpreting what the camera is seeing. Hot and cold are easy. Moisture is more difficult. Plus, with just a camera and no blower door, you will be at the mercy of natural air leakage. The cold coming in at the bottom is easy, but the warm exiting above the neutral plane is much more difficult to interpret. And the neutral plane will show nothing, but may leak like a sieve when the wind blows. A full audit starts at $300 depending upon your area, and without a doubt, you would save that and more through just this winter.

Check all of your rental places as they are coming down in price and may be available.

You will love it,
Bud

Super Moderator

CANADA

01-21-09, 06:10 PM   #3  
If this is for a casual inspection you could consider purchasing an infrared thermometer.
It will do the same thing as a camera except it will give you a temperature reading instead of a pretty picture.

YouTube - Ryobi Infrared Thermometer

GregH.........HVAC/R Tech

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

01-22-09, 01:16 AM   #4  
Home energy audits are a great idea. We had one done on our home last winter and learned a ton about home energy conservation in general as well as where it was most beneficial to put money into specific energy efficient / conservation renovations. However, every energy audit professional / company does things their own way and some may not use a thermal or infra-red technologies so it would be best to check first.

A few months ago we purchased an infra-red temperature device (regular $100, on sale for $50) which is great in providing temperature readings along walls when there is a significant difference in the outside vs inside temperature, e.g. in the winter, to locate possible insufficient wall insullation.

I hope that helps,
Dan

Search this Thread