Does your power company have a program like this?

Old 08-19-09, 03:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Does your power company have a program like this?

In the little flyer or leaflet that is in with my monthly bill, they have this newer program, that based on the number of KWH's you use a month, you can buy blocks of wind energy for like $1.15/100 KWH per "block". They said the average is about 6-10 blocks, (therefore about $6.90 - $11.50) for the average customer, that they will bill you for, if you subscribe.

They said about 70,000 people, and also corporations are doing this. They say nothing to the effect that this money you send comes off your bill. Why would anyone do this? Sounds like they are begging for money to help fund a source of power where they reap the profits, while you help them build it - all in the name of going green. Sounds like me asking for people to help pay for my gas so I can go to work. ????

Am I missing something here?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-09, 02:42 PM
I am sure its probably true. Many power companies are asking for donations of sort in my opinion to satisfy the green folks. This way the company can say its taking on green,renewable resources but without having to change its rate base. If they were to just invest in it otherwise could cause problems with your states utility commission.

Old 09-05-09, 02:49 PM
Makes sense. But I can't see donating to the cause of some company, that is profiting off of me. I may as well go out and profit for myself by making a sign that says "Give to a good cause", with me standing there holding out my mug.

Old 09-23-09, 09:53 AM
PSE does it as well. I personally want more investment in alternatives, but I fail to see how the means of begging is going to accomplish the end.

Old 09-23-09, 03:27 PM
Power to them, I guess, if they get people to donate to that cause.

But when I read the form, I can see how one could easily be fooled to think you might be trading in payment for some kind of credit on your bill. Not that they say that. They don't.

But I could see how some might presume that, based only on the fact that a company, like a utility company, wouldn't be asking for money, without some kind orf dedection by that amount on your bill. At least that is what I started to think at first, until I kept reading it over and over, and finally saying to myself that nowhere does it say the money you will send, monthly to them, will be credited to your account.