Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Energy Usage, Conservation and Weather Stripping
Reload this Page >

Question about lowering electric bill: Windows or OnDemand Water Heater?

Old 09-28-09, 04:10 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have a 1928 rowhome which is located in the middle of the row. There are 9 windows ranging from 2 wooden single pane windows, 1 metal single pane window, 1 small window which has the glass slats that close, and 5 very old vynil dual pane windows.

My house has natural gas, uses a boiler and radiators for heating and window air conditioner units (1 12,000 BTU window unit for 1st floor, 13000 BTU portable unit for basement, 2 6,000 BTU for the bedrooms) it has 2 bedrooms, 1bath and is 3 stories (including basement)

I like cold better than hot, and my electric bill is always more in the summer. I keep the A/C anywhere b/t 60-65 and same with the heat.

My question is will I see more savings by replacing all windows with a better, more efficient dual pane window or by replacing the water heater (fairly new 40 G tank - natural gas) with something like the Rheem Tankless Water Heater RTG-53PVN. I do like to take showers, and I am the only one living here (i do tend to take long showers -- until the water runs cold).

Thanks for your input, please feel free to ask for more specifics.

Old 09-28-09, 05:06 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Windows and insulation....
And get newer window units or go with central air..

Old 09-29-09, 03:20 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
So you have 4 single pane and 5 dual-pane windows. What si wrong with the dual pane vinyl ones? Are they warped, ill-fitting, felt worn off of the sides, ?.

After reading in your post that you'd rather be cold than hot, I thought that if you took cooler showers instead.......

Old 09-29-09, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Changing all the windows would pay for themselves in very short order for both heating and cooling.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: