Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Weatherization, need help fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10-01-09, 10:40 AM   #1  
Weatherization, need help fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need some advice fast! We recently bought a home built in 1900 possibly in the 1870's, over 3500 sq ft 2 story, with full unfinished attic & basement. Old, probably original windows, no siding, which all adds up to no insulation or very little. When the furnace runs, its toasty, as soon as it shuts off it begins to cool quickly. I'm a cold natured person, I'm fearing I'll freeze this winter, not only that I have 2 grandkids in the home, definitely don't want them cold. We intend on doing whatever weatherization we can, but money is limited. So no new windows or siding for now. We need weatherization tips, whats most important to do, most effective, whatever. We intend on putting plastic on the windows, someone suggested caulking around windows & doors on the outside. Glad to do that, but never have, so no clue what to look for. We will be putting draft guards at bottom of doors, sealing the attic door. Should anything be done in the basement, furnace, water heater & alot of water pipes down there, will it all be ok? We are also applying for weatherization programs where we live but have a feeling we wont qualify, not low enough income. I'm really concerned about the cold coming, any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links

10-04-09, 12:11 PM   #2  
Buy and read this book. Do everything they outline in there.
Amazon.com: Insulate and Weatherize: Expert Advice from Start to Finish (Build Like A Pro) (0094115585545): Bruce Harley: Books

ME

10-04-09, 01:45 PM   #3  
Hi rc, I just want you to know your timing is in line with 80% of those wishing to button up for the cold. I'm just teasing, but with time and money being limited, so will be what you can do.

I haven't read d00bs recommended book, but I'm sure it is a good source for tips and where to start. I've worked many of the older homes and they DO need help. Having your attic and basement unfinished is a big help as it will give you easy access to some areas that always need work, like where your house sets on it's foundation wall. Or in the attic locating and sealing all of th holes you can find where heat is leaking out.

Your furnace should be serviced, you don't want any troubles with 2' of snow on the ground. Identify areas where you will need less heat and areas where you want more heat and look for ways to isolate these spaces. I call them comfort zones. Make sure your water pipes are protected from the cold and any wall spaces where those pipes may run.

You said furnace, I assume forced hot air. Boiler if it is baseboad or radiator heat, let us know.

You said no siding??? Is there anything there to protect from the rain and wind? Some pictures would help: http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html

We're here to help,
Bud

10-06-09, 10:28 AM   #4  
thanx 4 the tip d00bs, i'l chek the book out!

Last edited by rcjohnson716; 10-06-09 at 11:23 AM.

10-06-09, 11:20 AM   #5  
Pix, I hope?! lol

hi bud, thanx 4 your reply. I definitely am having the furnace serviced, btw it is a forced air natural gas furnace, actually will be calling 2day or 2morrow to make that appt. I have already been working on those "comfort zones". We purchased a small heater for our front room & put up a blanket to block the rest of the house from the front room. Our front room leads to a hallway to the rest of the house, there was alot of draft coming from the back part of the house. Also in the entrance of the hallway is the thermostat, which is currently on 65, didn't want the heater keeping the furnace from kicking on. The heater seems to be helping so far, we hope we can say the same when its below freezing outside. We also purchased another small heater for our kitchen, the coldest room in the house, will mainly use when temps drop so hopefully no freezing water. Which we do live in town, usually don't have problems with freezing pipes, at least so far in my 27 yrs of living in town. Don't know if this info. is needed but just in case, my house is actually an apt. house. It was a 4 apt. unit, now it is a 3 apt. unit, 2 apt. down & 1 up. We live in the north apt. down, the south apt. down is vacant, well except the bedroom my college son utilitizes when home. My daughter & my grandkids have the whole upstairs which used to be 2 apt. now 1. The north apt. where I live is the coldest. The south apt. gets afternoon warming sun so warmer there. And the upstairs is toasty. I own it all & I'm freezing lol. Anyhow, we are putting plastic at least definitely on our windows, not sure if the upstairs or the other apt. will even need it. My house has no siding as you think of siding, it has wood slats going horizontally around the house is the best I can describe it. It's such a big house, don't know when we can insulate/side it & replace windows, I'm sure it won't be cheap. I've included 5 links to pictures of all sides of our home, hope it gives you a better idea of what I'm dealing with. Again thanx for the reply, I'm open to any suggestions. O a tip for ya, the side of the house that's unfinished is the north side of the house, the side we live on.

Snapfish: Share Photo:Registration

ME

10-06-09, 12:29 PM   #6  
You definately have a project on your hands, but the basic structure looks fine from the photos. Buttoning up for the winter is the correct approach as it is too late for major repairs, at least DIY repairs. Cover yout windows inside and out, with 30 plus of them they are a major heat loss. Also, bank your house. Some people use hay bales, others trash bags filled with leaves, but I simply used a 4' strip of plastic and some strapping to go around the house. Tape the seams and anchor the bottom and it will make a huge difference.

stay warm
Bud

10-07-09, 07:39 AM   #7  
Thanx 4 the info, bud, i really appreciate it. If u think of anything else I can do to help keep warm, please let me know!

Search this Thread