Window Weatherizing

Old 10-12-09, 04:00 PM
Window Weatherizing

I live in an apartment that has drafty windows. What can I get and how can I prevent the drafts from coming in so my PSE &G bill does not skyrocket

Thank you in advance,

Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-09, 04:20 PM
Hi bebita2397, and welcome to the forum. In an apartment your construction options are limited. The best first step would be those heat shrinkable plastic films on every window. Next might be some rope caulk. About the diameter of a pencil, you can roll it out between your hands to a small diameter and press it into any cracks that are leaking cold air.

If your apartment has an attic hatch, make sure it is insulated and sealed so no warm air leaks out. Any air that leaks out must be replaced by cold air leaking in somewhere.

If you are willing to make or invest some bucks, window quilts are extremely effective at making a room more comfortable. The homes where I have encountered them, the owners have nothing but praise. There are also "Insulated Roman Shades" different approach to the same results.

Bud

Old 10-12-09, 04:34 PM
Weatherizing

Thank you for your reply and for your welcome to the forum.

What is the best window kit to get. I read some reviews that they are not good and something about buying painters plastic and taping it on.

I don't have a lot of money to spend and do not want to ruin any of the windows when I take them off in the summer.

Again, I thank you for all of your help.

Old 10-12-09, 04:44 PM
I actually have never installed it. I have worked around it and heard stories about it. From what I have heard, it is best to have two people. next, you need a good double sided tape and a good clean surface. I think a kit for 3 windows is about $5. Use a big box store and try one package, keep your receipt. If it doesn't work, take it back, they are usually very good at refunds so it gives you one shot to practice at no risk. As long as the store isn't 30 miles out of your way.

Once the heat shrinkable stuff is in place and done, you almost can't see it. I have seen crystal clear plastic that is not shrinkable so you could apply that as others were suggestion, but it will have a wavy finish because it will be difficult to stretch it perfectly flat.

stay warm
Bud

Old 10-12-09, 04:52 PM
Weatherizing

Thanks for the reply. I will be going to the store this weekend so I will pick some up and post once I have given it a try.

Old 11-05-09, 05:12 AM
for insulation, you can use bubble wrap. it's easy to handle and more importantly it does the job.