Weather stipping for door-What to buy?

Old 01-06-10, 10:10 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Alabama
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Weather stripping for door-What to buy?

I have a drafty front door. The weather stripping needs to be replaced. I've read up on the various options and have decided on either rubber or silicone tape. But they come in lots of sizes and widths. There is ribbed, D shaped, cellular, etc. And what seems like an infinite number of widths. How do I know which width and shape to buy?

Last edited by BrittaniMV; 01-06-10 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-08-10, 11:16 AM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,823
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You will need to take measurements of the area where you plan to install the WS including width,thickness and whether or not the door's action will compress the WS or not.

The type of WS you are considering isn't very durable and will probably only last the season if that.You might want to talk to sale help at a non big box hardware store where they can recommend alternatives.

A better type if it will fit for you is a kit with sections of a rubber edged rigid material,generally aluminum or plastic,that you nail to the frame so the door closes against the rubber edge/bead.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: