Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

What window film is best?

01-09-10, 02:41 AM   #1  
What window film is best?

I live in sunny South Florida and am trying to lower our electrical consumption by installing some type of window film to block out some of the summer heat and keep in the warm during the winter. Our windows are single pane glass with aluminum frames. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Super Moderator

PA

01-09-10, 07:49 AM   #2  
Hi and welcome to the forum! From what I've read, Vista and 3M are the best.

Adopt a shelter pet!
Spay or neuter your pet!
Please don't leave pets or kids in a hot car!
Bring your pets inside in this cold weather! Have some compassion and sense.

MO

01-09-10, 03:17 PM   #3  
My windows are low-e / argon filled and as a result I cannot use the film-type of screen. I installed ez snap solar shades last summer and can verify they work as advertised. They mount outside your window (not on the glass) thus stopping the suns rays before it touches your glass. I measured the temp of my window sill (in full sun) just prior to attaching the screen - 123 degrees F. About 30 minutes later (after attaching the screen - still in full sun) the sill temp was 83 degrees. They do obscure the view somewhat but they do remove any and all glare. Last fall I simply removed the screens to maximize solar heating. I will reattach them this summer.

Search this Thread