Mouse Proofing Vents

Old 09-01-10, 03:15 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mouse Proofing Vents

Don't know where to post this thread. I have in the floor ducts for heat/air. They are iregular and not finished off very well below the actual louver vent. Can someone suggest a way to cover the vent so suspected mice cannot get up through the vent? I have considered using hardware cloth, but would welcome any suggestions.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-10, 05:20 PM
R
If keeping out small bugs, I use fiberglass screen and adhered w/ silicone sealant on inside of vent cover.

Rodents will eat through cloth and plastic stuff. I would use fine meshed stainless steel.

Old 09-02-10, 12:00 PM
R
Thx, Rob. Will see if I can find the meshed stainless steel.

Old 09-06-10, 02:27 PM
B
how thick

How thick does the mesh need to be? Like those rather porous screens at the base some house foundations or finer and firmer?
Originally Posted by Rob R. View Post
If keeping out small bugs, I use fiberglass screen and adhered w/ silicone sealant on inside of vent cover.

Rodents will eat through cloth and plastic stuff. I would use fine meshed stainless steel.

Old 09-06-10, 03:58 PM
R
How thick does the mesh need to be? Like those rather porous screens at the base some house foundations or finer and firmer?
I have two vents between my garage and utility room, and presumably a code requirement since a gas water heater is located in the utility room. I often leave my garage door up during the day if working outdoors. The slotted vents are to small to allow a mouse to get through but would allow small critters like roaches and other bugs into the walls or utility room. For that reason, I used fiberglass screen like used on screen porches as it wonít rust over time.

On plumbing vents extending above the roof, I used stainless steel mesh to seal them off to keep critters from going into the pipes or a bird from building a nest.

Occasionally Iíll find mice in an outbuilding, and they love to build their nest in some fabric material stored inside. Theyíll shred some fabric grow bags for growing plants into fuzz balls which makes good nesting material. Iíve also had larger rodents eat through plastic containers to get at bird seed. That was the reason for suggesting stainless steel mesh to the other poster.

This link will give you a better idea of what I use Medium Stainless Steel Wire Mesh Screen. It takes you to the category of 304 stainless steel (standard) and medium grade screen. While there are many different choices made, youíll likely only find a few locally . . . if mice are the only concern, then a courser grade is fine. I buy mine from irrigation suppliers as this type screen is used at the end of inlet pipes taking water from lakes and canals (it's actually 316 SS but not needed for this kind of application). Iíve seen it in hardware stores too. If you happen to live in a climate that does not promote rust or corrosion, then you may find another suitable metal mesh. Here if FL, the type metal mesh sold in the big box stores will start rusting after several yrs., and it will need to be replaced periodically. I wanted to do it once and be done with it.

In terms of your point about firmness, itís preferable to have it somewhat flexible. Most louver vents face to the inside, and it makes it easier to place the screen over the bulge (this hides the screen from view) and adhere it w/ a silicone or other suitable sealant. I placed something having weight on that portion of screen covering the louvers, and then used office binder clips to hold down the edges until the sealant cured.

Old 09-06-10, 04:04 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Rob may be thinking regular vents of some sort...what you really mean (I think) are floor registers. 1/4" galvanized hardware cloth should be fine. Cut, bend and attach as necessary. 1/2" is too big.

Screen will restrict airflow far too much for a furnace or A/C.

Old 09-09-10, 07:36 PM
A
Also make sure you're not keeping food sources nearby, as that will attract them. We had a few getting into our bird seed that was near our back door.