weather stripping

Old 12-13-00, 04:33 PM
M W
I have two sets of french doors. You could feel the draft coming in under the door. I went to warehouse joint and bought the aluminum bottoms with the rubber seals that screw to the bottom of the doors. Two fit perfectly, two did not, meaning the doors were larger and once the device was screwed on, the door would not close. Do I pull the doors off and plane them down? help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-00, 08:08 PM
I assume you mean the doors, the the shoes attached, are now too low and the shoes are hitting the threshold, which is preventing them from closing. If you can't adjust the shoes any higher, then yes, remove the doors and cut about 1/8" off of the bottom. Reinstall the doors. Slip the shoes on and lift them as high as possible (DO NOT SCREW THEM IN PLACE YET.) Close the doors. Lower the shoes until they contact the threshold. NOW screw them in place. Should work fine.

Old 12-14-00, 02:38 PM
M W
Lefty

thanks...I did not know they were called shoes. Should I use a circular saw to cut that 1/8 off?

Old 12-14-00, 05:40 PM
A circular saw would work just fine. Since the shoe will hide the saw cut, you don't have to be perfect with the cut, just close. (OF course, this assumes that the shoes you are using are "U" shaped, and will completely cover the saw cut.)