How to seal Garage door from outside?

Old 10-26-10, 02:44 PM
M
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
How to seal Garage door from outside?

I have a pull up garage door with dimensions something like 7'Hx8'W and would like to seal out the air coming into the garage from all around the door [both sides, top and bottom], how can I best do this please? I am being told of some window covering made of heavy plastic which you can "heat" around the door which should work if the plastic is melted on the framing lumber covering 3 sides [top and 2 sides] but then what about the bottom of the door? Any ideas please?

Old 10-26-10, 03:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
If its wood...put a nail on seal on the bottom. For the top and sides they also make a nail on weatherstrip...but I prefer something like the solid vinyl door stop with a soft vinyl fin that seal to the door.

Check Royal Moldings for the vinyl.

Both should be available at any home center.

Old 10-28-10, 03:41 AM
M
I already have those vinyl material nail on seal which was purchased from Home depot, does not work well enough, need something better but from watching this video I just found on the net, this is the EXACT garage door and setup I have,

YouTube - Garage Door Weather Seal Tips

What I think happened is that the stripping I bought is half the size of what's shown in the video and the stripping material itself is too soft, I will have to check around for what's shown in the video.

Old 10-28-10, 04:39 AM
M
Come to think of it, I am still not 100% sold on the idea of sealing all around the door edges mainly because the softer part of the vinyl which touches the door, this is too flexible and I am almost certain that cold air will pass though these areas?

Old 10-28-10, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
The fin, when properly installed, will seal very well. You don't need much to stop airflow. There should be very little gap, if any, between the door and the wood frame when closed. If there is..the door may need adjustment. The fin should be placed firmly (but not smashed) against the door...not barely touching.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: