should I insulate a garage under a master bedroom

Old 11-13-10, 03:27 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
should I insulate a garage under a master bedroom

I am having an addition put up. It's a garage with a master bedroom/bathroom above it.
I was wondering if it would be worthwhile insulating the garage?

my only reason for doing so, is that eventually when we finish the bed/bathroom I thought it would end up saving me money in heating/cooling it.

I also thougth about insulating the garage, but not worry about any sheetrock or anything for a while. The only problem is I dont know if its ok to leave the insulation exposed? ( probably a little poranoid, but I do have very young children in case that matters safety wise)

thanks for your help.
L

PS
I live in western MA

Old 11-13-10, 07:51 PM
E
I would most certinatly have to say that you need to insulate the garage ceiling. I cannot speak for your local codes, but in NJ, it is required to sheetrock a garage ceiling if there is living space above. Has to be a 2 hour fire rating. We usually have to do double 5/8" boards. choosing to finish the walls is entirely up to you, but im almost certain that the ceiling will have to be sheetrocked, and since it will be closed in, you should definatly insulate it. Other pros will chime in im sure.

Old 11-13-10, 09:25 PM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
As ElectricJoeNJ stated, check your local codes, but a fire barrier is typical and if you read through the posts on this forum, you will see that cold living spaces above a garage are common. Thus, insulate that garage ceiling to the max.

As for insulating the walls and leaving the insulation exposed, that is not advisable. A proper barrier will consist of a moisture/vapor barrier and a rigid air barrier like sheetrock. With just Kraft faced insulation, you can get condensation and ice on the inside of your outside walls.

Bud

Old 11-14-10, 06:29 AM
N
thanks for the replies.

I figured that the roof of the garage should be well insulated, but what I wasn't sure is if I should bother to insulate the walls.

what are your thoughts on that?

L

Old 11-15-10, 03:54 AM
N
meant ceiling of the garage not roof!
L

Old 11-15-10, 06:32 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
You are going to be living above this room and will notice if the two are kept at vastly different temperatures

The more insulation, the better

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: