Want to build a Windmill...Plans?

Old 12-17-00, 02:57 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

We need a little face,scratching his head!
It took me weeks,but at one time I had found a site that had Building plans for building your own windmill for power.TOTAL explaination on how it worked...EVERYTHING.I'm a DORK...I can't find it!!!

Any ideas for me out there?NOT even sure I'm posting on the correct board!!!THANKS!!!
KDC

Old 12-19-00, 09:26 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Don't feel bad. We have all, at one time or another, gotten so wrapped in in a website that we have forgotten to bookmark it. Sorry I can't help you with finding it, but if, and when, you do find it, bookmark it BEFORE you start reading. And I love the idea of the little face scrathing his head. We need that one!!

Old 12-20-00, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Old 12-20-00, 11:06 PM
L
2000, what does C4 have for the little face scratching it's head? Kimdc is onto something here. We REALLY need that figure!!

Old 12-22-00, 12:19 AM
Lefty,
Need or not, I think the inclusion of such an image will remain a wish for a long, long, time. (It's easy to forget the ultimate authority, and how much work that type of request involves). But if I encounter one, I'll post the image source.

Old 12-26-00, 06:36 AM
Visiting Guest
Talking Thanx...

Thanx for the feedback and links!!
Same subject,more question....reading alot on this subject.Over and over i'm seeing that people are opting to go to the solar instead of wind power.

have any of you had any hands on with either?What are the cost/maintainance pros and cons?
thanks,
kimdc

Old 12-26-00, 08:11 PM
I have always had a hot and cold interest in alternate technologies and methods. I have experimented with some, others remain "interesting curiosities". I am not an authority or an expert in any.

The sum total of my experience with wind power was back in the early seventies. My brother and I built a small experimental savannahs rotor. Our experiment went well until the first real wind storm. Can you say "disaster". From what I remember 13-20 MPH was the ideal wind speed range. Lacking a governor, brake, precession balancing of the rotors, plus high winds abruptly ended the experiment.

My solar experience, at least for photovoltaics, is limited also.

I can't answer your questions, but I offer more food for thought.

Questions for you: Are you aware of other renewable energy resources (AKA: alternate technologies) and have you analyzed the site for potential methods of energy exploitation? Are your expectations realistic, and are you designing for immediate consumption or for storage and consumption. Why limit the questions to either or and cost and maintenance?

Legal issues and practicable considerations abound. For example, (neglecting common legal issues) should the spinning rotor or blade of your wind generator impact (ie: kill) an endangered species you can be held liable. (This is not as far fetched as it may seem. The endangered species list is not limited to birds and mammals).

On the practicable side: more power for a given wind speed generally means a larger prop and generator. A larger tower may not be feasible nor multiple smaller installations. Storage and consumption can require a substantial investment. The regulating power authority establishes when, if, and how, of connection to the local power grid. Selling surplus power may or may not be optional. Solar is a trickle charger, but roof top panels generally don't require an environmental impact study or the services of a structural engineer.

Realistically it will be difficult for you to compare and analyze systems until you have established the goal.

A site that may be of interest http://www.dieoff.org/ It's a disorganized an disjointed missive, however, some of the content is provocative. Minimally read: http://www.dieoff.org/page1.htm and http://www.dieoff.org/page84.htm

Older pioneers: Mother Earth News, Organic Gardening. Both are web enabled. A wealth of old and current information exists in Education, Federal, and Military sites also.

Old 12-27-00, 07:49 AM
Visiting Guest
Red face AHHH?

WHOA...Brain overload !!
Gonna have to print this one out,and get back to yah!
Thanks.
Smiles...
Kim
--K-- I'm back...NOT FOR LONG!! I'm still trying to get all this.Do you give out meds. w/your advise?Now,we need a 'lil guy w/his head smok'in...huh? BURNT but not out!

[Edited by kimdc on 12-27-00 at 03:59]

Old 12-27-00, 06:22 PM
L
OK -- now we got it!! The little head is there. An arm comes up and does it's scratching thing, then the smoke appears. Brandon, are you with us on this?? We could make Mr. Gates look like small change!!! What was the question?

Old 11-19-08, 10:49 AM
G
Thumbs up *2008 Link Free VAWT Wind Turbine Plans

http://www.reuk.co.uk/Free-VAWT-Wind-Turbine-Plans.htm

http://www.mdpub.com/Wind_Turbine/index.html
Check this out

Last edited by gary.morris; 11-19-08 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-25-09, 05:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
9 year old thread guys.

/Closed

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: