Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Need help on how to Weatherproof old aluminum casing windows and Patio Door

LA

11-17-10, 06:54 AM   #1  
Need help on how to Weatherproof old aluminum casing windows and Patio Door

I live in an 3rd floor apartment in Kenner LA, and the apartment complex is an "Old" one. Been around since the late 60's or very early 70's. Don't think they thought of weatherproofing then. When I returned back from evacuating from Katrina.... you could see that there was no interior insulation in the buildings. They didn't put any in either. All they used was some kind of heavy cardboard with foil on it. I don't think this is over any plywood sheeting. I did see them installing the vinyl siding over the "foiled cardboard".
It has very old windows and patio doors. All are aluminum framed (Cased?).
Windows are 1 over 31w x 30h total window measure is 31w x 60h and sliding Patio door
31w x 80 h with metal rollers. total unit measure is 59w x 80h.

I guess the apartment association dosen't care how much you have to pay in utilities.... all they care about is the rent they collect on each 800 sqft apartment.
This place is really drafty due to lack of "ANY" insulation and I would at least like to weatherproof the patio door and the 2 windows.
I already put felt weatherstrip around the access door for the air/heating unit. And I am planning on covering an old air filter with plastic and replacing the filter with that one to seal up the thing. We really don't use the heater at all during the winter months... so we can seal up the air ducts and that has helped somewhat. BUT The Patio Door and the Windows still has considerable heat loss.
Also being as we live an apartment.... we don't want to do anything that will damage the place and have to forfit our damage deposite.
Does anyone have any ideas?? Are there any kits that I can use to help save energy?
We have to get through the patio door to the utility room. So sealing off the door is not an option.
Thank for your help.
Have a wonderful day

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

11-17-10, 06:07 PM   #2  
Look into 3M window insulator kits. Amazon has a bunch of them. You will want to use the 3M tape as well. Of course there is no guarantee that it won't take the paint off when you remove it in the spring. You can't have your grits and eat them too.

And welcome to the forum- I see this is your first post!

Search this Thread