Plastic Window Insulation

Old 12-06-10, 04:48 PM
M
Received 16 Votes on 11 Posts
Plastic Window Insulation

Our home has double-pane inert gas-filled aluminum windows and I was thinking of adding a layer of plastic for the winter. Is this effective enough to notice a difference, or would I be wasting my T&M?

Old 12-06-10, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Aluminum frame? Or aluminum clad?

What you described is a very odd combination unless they are about 30 yrs old..in which case the gas is gone. Was the glass a LoE?

Old 12-11-10, 07:49 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mossman View Post
Our home has double-pane inert gas-filled aluminum windows and I was thinking of adding a layer of plastic for the winter. Is this effective enough to notice a difference, or would I be wasting my T&M?

it will be a noticable difference. i do all my windows with plastic film in the winter. not only that, we have tight fitting blinds in the kitchen, about 1/8" gap on 3 side, 0 gap at the top. when raised from the down position, noticeably cooler air is released .

Old 12-11-10, 12:13 PM
S
Window kits have weak tape

We have used the plastic kits here every winter. The only issue I have is the double sided tape that comes with them. It never holds very well. I got around that by reinforcing with 2 inch wide clear tape before I shrink them. It hold very well then.

Old 12-11-10, 09:11 PM
C
that tape works great for me. but i am putting it on a painted aluminum frame. ymmv

Old 12-14-10, 05:09 PM
M
Received 16 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, aluminum framed windows. They are about 28 years old. When we bought the home, we had several of the panels replaced because the seals were leaking, gas escaped, and condensation was forming between the panes. They were replaced with the same type of window (apparently someone still makes these). Considering the other windows do not have condensation problems, wouldn't that mean the seals are still intact and thus the gas is still present?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: