Bathroom vent constantly running?

Old 12-03-11, 05:31 PM
Bathroom vent constantly running?

I live in an apartment complex, and I have an overhead bathroom vent fan that appears to be running all the time. It's supposed to be automatic, as there is no control for it. I have no idea what make or model it is, and I'm sorry for the lack of information. Is it normal for such a fan to be running constantly? I'd like to find out before contacting maintenance, because I feel this may be adding significantly to my power bills. If not, is there anything simple I can do to correct the problem?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-11, 04:43 AM
Group Moderator
Does the fan run whenever the light is on? If so, that is a normal way for them to be wired and in that case it is not a problem. It is intended to work that way. I often wire them that way on my rental properties because tenants often do not use the vent fan because they think it costs them electricity or they don't like the sound. The fan is needed to remove the moist air from a small confined bathroom to help prevent damage to the walls & ceiling and to control mold which loves a moist environment.

If you are in a large or multi-story building it is common for there to be a cental fan that vents multiple bathrooms in the bathroom. The fan usually runs all the time and is wired to a separate circuit than the apartments or hotel rooms so it probably does not go on your power bill.

Old 12-04-11, 06:44 AM
I 120% agree with tiger great response

Old 12-04-11, 02:06 PM
It runs whether the light is on or off. I'm not sure if I'm recalling right, but I don't recall it running all the time before. I thought it had a humidity sensor of some kind that would switch it on. I'm not well-versed about such things, though. Maybe I'll visit my neighbor and see it hers runs all the time. Thanks!

Old 12-04-11, 04:20 PM
Group Moderator
I have not seen one with a humidity sensor but they do exist so it is possible. It does seem odd that you would have a fan for your one bathroom and it runs constantly.

Old 12-12-11, 07:04 PM
No humidity sensor.

The fan seems to be a Panasonic FV-08VKS1. According to what I've been able to determine, its big feature was that it could maintain a constant vent pressure by detecting any resistance in the duct, and ramping up the fan speed to compensate. Supposedly, it also can be set to turn off a certain time after activation. On examination, I found two small knobs, which I assume control these two functions (fan speed and timer). However, neither of them seem to make any difference.

Old 12-14-11, 09:17 AM
Group Moderator
I'd call the landlord about this.

Old 12-14-11, 11:17 AM
Mitch is correct, call and check. One of the confusing issues with indoor air requirements is that yes a fan like that might have been wired to run 24/7 or cycle on/off at predetermined intervals to provide the correct amount of fresh air. Without a nice big sign telling people why, they will find a way to turn them off. I your case from your description a malfunction of that pressure sensor or a blocked vent might also have that fan running all the time.

Easy to ask and a good question.

Bud