Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Insulating Over Recessed Lights

MA

12-23-11, 07:02 AM   #1  
Insulating Over Recessed Lights

I know you cannot put regular fiberglass insulation over recessed lighting, but is there a recommended fire safe option anyone uses in the attic or should I just leave them alone? Thanks

Sponsored Links

MD

12-23-11, 09:05 AM   #2  
you can put insulation right over the recessed lights if they are IC rated. IC stands for insulation contact. for HALO the IC is in the model number. I used H7ICAT (AT is for air tight). check if your lights are IC rated before you look for other options. I don't know of any other options if they are not IC rated.

ME

12-23-11, 10:19 AM   #3  
Hi cs,
You will find many options and some devices specifically claiming to cover non-IC recessed lights so insulation can then be placed over the assembly for reduced heat loss. The problem is that approach does not meet codes as intended. The last one I checked out even claimed to be UL approved. With a bit more questioning it turned out that the device had been tested with only a few recessed fixtures and that the UL only related to specifically those. However, here is where your local authority may be able to help you, since all codes are ultimately under their authority. It is a common question and they may have a ready answer for you, an approved answer.

Bud

IL

01-12-12, 02:37 PM   #4  
the other thing to keep in mind is that some fixtures create a great deal of heat that is disapated into the space above the fixture. Even if you get an insulation system that is approved by local authorities, code compliant and safe you may still be trapping heat around the fixture which could in some instances affect the life of the fixture or the lamps or both. You may want to do a search of the actual fixture you have to make sure you are not investing a lot of time for something that may create future problems. sorry to be a Debbie-Downer, good luck.

Group Moderator

MN

01-12-12, 02:54 PM   #5  
IF it was me, I would change out the can to an IC rated one and then bury away.

Electrical AC/DC and lighting Moderator
Professional Electrician, Handyman, all around swell guy!
40,000 people die in auto accidents per year in the US. We should ban cars.

Search this Thread