Problem with Plastic Window Covering

Old 01-22-12, 06:39 PM
Problem with Plastic Window Covering

I'm trying to cover 3 large windows in our living room about 3'x8' all next to each other separated by about 6'' of wall in between them. So I figure the best thing to do is to cover all three with one large covering.
The problem I have is that the tape is going on textured wall so after a couple days it will start to peel off. There's no way I can cover it without taping on the textured wall. Is there anything I can do to keep the tape from peeling?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-12, 03:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What are you trying to accomplish with this plastic covering? Unless you get a good air seal, if you are attempting to create a storm barrier, you will get air leaks. Can't you tape it to the individual rails and stiles of the window?

Old 01-23-12, 04:49 AM
Group Moderator
I would apply the tape to the perimeter window frame and use a separate piece of plastic for each window. It would give the tape something better to stick to and would probably look a bit less like a huge sheet of plastic run down the wall.

Old 01-23-12, 01:03 PM
here's a picture of the windows. They are all sunken in and there's no way to tape to the frame because of the blinds.

Old 01-23-12, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
If you did find a way to get the tape to stick, it would probably then peel off the paint when you remove it.
It would be a shame to cover up those pretty windows with a piece of plastic.
Do you have a budget for custom draperies? Insulated, and hung on a rod high up over the arches, with returns on the sides.
Would look gorgeous and keep most of the cold out.

Old 01-25-12, 02:53 PM
You gave us a picture of the inside of the windows. Any barrier you put on them would be attached to the outside of the window. With such nice windows, I can't see the benefit of taping plastic to them, and must say it would be ugly with a capital "U". Again, you didn't tell us what you were trying to accompish with the plastic. Aren't these thermoplane, or multiple pane windows to begin with?

Old 01-25-12, 06:13 PM
i had thermoplane windows in my condo. using window film made a noticable difference.

Old 01-26-12, 02:31 AM
I've used "window film", such as Gila on windows, too, but from what I am gathering, the OP is possibly looking for an interior approach similar to a storm film. Bridging the frames on the inside will only cause intense condensation on the film itself and horrible water damage.

Old 01-26-12, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator
There's no where to put the window film on the OP's windows, or we would have suggested that already.

Old 01-26-12, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
I suppose the OP is just trying to save a bit on energy bills. I just hate to say those beautiful windows butchered with some cheap plastic by trying to cover all the windows in one sheet on the interior wall. There is just no way that will work out well or look good. I'm sure the tape & plastic could be applied to the window frame but the blinds probably would have to come down, and neatly working the half round at the top could be frustrating.

Oh, did everyone notice the purple lava lamp? Mine is clear liquid with green lava.

Old 02-11-12, 06:45 AM
Are these windows double glazed?

If so, I would not add a third layer, the energy return is not worth the Ugly factor.

Old 11-14-12, 05:05 PM
Masking tape is made to stick walls and also remove relatively easy. Although, after a few months, it can become a little difficult to remove.

Old 11-30-12, 07:36 PM
there's no way to tape to the frame because of the blinds.
Depending on what your goal is, and on the construction and orientation of the windows, those shades may be hindering you. Are you open to removing them if that will help you meet your goal?

Old 11-30-12, 07:40 PM
Do you have a budget for custom draperies? Insulated, and hung on a rod high up over the arches, with returns on the sides.
Would look gorgeous and keep most of the cold out.
I'm thinking the whole megillah for this triple set, Shadie -- sheers, silks and satins, with a valence to cover the hardware.