Energy Consumption

Old 11-11-12, 07:40 PM
Energy Consumption

I can't seem to find a calculator that can help me out with this. Over a 3 month period, how much money can you save by keeping your thermostat on 65 versus 75 degrees?

This is based on heating a 2,000 square foot, 1 story, house.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-12, 11:09 PM
Nope, you won't find such a calculator because there are far too many variables to break it down to one simple formula.

Old 11-12-12, 04:48 AM
Group Moderator
Like Furd mentioned... it all depends. The savings on an old, poorly insulated home will be much greater than the saving on a modern well insulated & sealed building.

Here is a calculator you can try though.

Old 11-12-12, 07:28 AM
Hi Tampa Bay in AZ,
As Furd and PD said, there are a lot of variables, but since the question comes up so frequently I worked up a sheet for my region based upon 7500 Heating Degree Days (HDD). Since AZ has a variety of zones, check the HDD for your area and if it is half my 7500, assume half the results. We are painting with very broad strokes here.

First, HDD assumes a 5 internal gain and standard inside temp of 70, which may or may not be appropriate. Some people I have dealt with have taken energy reduction to the point where nothing extra runs unless they need it. In the realm of mpg with cars they call these people hyper-milers. In the home energy world I guess we could call them hyper-smilers, as their end of the month bills do put a smile on their face. Conservation can be effective, but sometimes cold.

To the numbers. Since most energy loss equations are directly related to the HDD, double your HDD and double your heat loss. Since you start at 75, that is a 21% penalty over 70. Dropping down to 65 would reduce your energy use over a 70 setting by 19%. Putting those together to get an idea what the difference would be from 75 down to 65 you get a 40% reduction in heating costs.

These are not numbers you would want to take to the bank, but they do give you an idea as to how inside temperature settings affect your heating bills. And remember, reduce this percentage by the ratio of your HDD to my 7500.

Bud

Old 11-12-12, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator
Just a note to TB.....looking at their site...APS has an energy calculator...if thats your service provider and you have electric heat. Not sure who your gas provider is (if you have gas heat) but they may have something similar.

Not sure if they have any adjustments for stat settings, but it might be worth looking at.

The Pro's have already given good info...but most info on the Internet says a rule of thumb is reducing by about 3 degrees for at least 8 hrs will save about 10% during that period. So if you drop it 3 degrees for the entire billing period, you'll save about 10% off your total bill.

That very roughly matches up with Buds explanation. So much depends on the house, it's impossible to be exact without a real audit.

My place for instance....on a nice sunny day with little wind...my living room (with big windows in the front that get sun almost all day) will easily get to 75 or so with a 68 degree stat setting, even though its 40 outside. Doesn't help the rest of the house much.