weather stripping

Old 01-31-13, 01:49 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
weather stripping

I recently purchased a Black & Decker infared temperature detector. You can point it at a neutral location and get an average room temperature and then check around your windows and doors etc. for temperature changes, which would indicate air leakage.

I found leakage around all my windows when checking the moulding around the windows not particuarlly the window itself. As much as 12 or more degrees F. I know it indicates leakage but how do I get at the base problem? Should I removed all the trim and caulk or insulate around whatever is behind the moulding? I have double hung vynal windows.

I also found large temperature differences between the walls and right at the baseboard moulding in all rooms. ( Where the wall meets the floor) There is basement below most of the ground floor and an attached garage under part of the upstairs bedrooms. (It is a split level home.) What should I look for as far as a cause for this cool temperture at the bottom of the walls? Thanks for any advice and help.
Old 02-06-13, 05:11 AM
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 59
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I've got the same question regarding windows and actually using IR gun to determine root source of heat loss.

For your issue at the baseboard/bottom of walls, check to see if your rim joist and sill plate is insulated
Old 02-06-13, 05:26 AM
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New England
Posts: 10,524
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
The temperature gun that Ametuer used cannot distinguish between thermal conduction or air leakage. The areas he is looking at are always colder due to more wood and maybe air infiltration, and the spot size might be covering too great of an area.

Bucsox, if your IR gun is an imaging camera, then yes you may be able to see infiltration in the lower portions of the house. Upper portions of the house the air will be leaking out and the indications will be a slightly warmer area around the leak. But these areas would be difficult to identify as leakage with just temperature readings. For the middle zones, air neither leaks out or in, called the neutral pressure zone.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: