Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Energy Usage, Conservation and Weather Stripping
Reload this Page >

Spray foam insulation where basement wall meets floor joists

Old 04-24-13, 12:21 PM

I need to seal up these areas, and would like to spray foam in about a 4" deep section between the joists for the ceiling above, against the basement wall. Commercial spray foam would be wonderful, but I need to do this myself. What are my options? My experience with expanding foam in a can is that it isn't well suited for this type of application.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-13, 12:36 PM
Group Moderator
Just do a search online for "spray foam insulation" and more than you'd care to know will pop up. There is everything from the little spray cans up to almost commercial systems. In between are ones that hold two chemicals in cylinders like barbecue propane tanks. I think the first step is to determine how much you will need. Then you can pick an appropriately sized system. Some market their systems by cubic feet of finished foam while others specify how many square feet you can cover 1" thick.

Old 04-24-13, 05:56 PM
DIY spray foam is expensive and there IS a learning curve in its application. Unless you have only a small area to fill it might be less expensive to have a commercial outfit come and do the job.

Old 04-24-13, 06:48 PM
Search 2-part spray foam kits and there are several. But as stated, there is a learning curve and it can be messy. Use a closed cell and then insulate the concrete below in some manner.

The area your are addressing will be well air sealed which is of prime importance.

Bud

Old 04-25-13, 12:15 PM
Thanks. I did some research and yes there are lots of options. The Foam it Green products look pretty good.

Had my energy audit yesterday and I am getting a lot of air pulled down into the basement via these areas, so a couple inches of foam should help tremendously.