estimating square footage for energy audit

Old 12-20-13, 08:50 AM
estimating square footage for energy audit

There's a state-funded energy audit program I'd like to take advantage of but the application asks for at least an estimated square footage of the building to be audited. I don't really have any already documented info to refer to so will need to figure this up myself. Some of the rooms in the building have higher ceilings than the rest, and at least one of the rooms has an open (or vaulted?) ceiling, (not flat but open up toward the roof peak). I googled how to estimate and there seems to be a lot of forumulas etc, some rather convoluted but I just am hoping to get a suggestion of a basic general method that I can come up with at least a decent close approximation of the building square footage for the application. Thanks for any comments/advice.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-13, 10:52 AM
Group Moderator
Square footage or cubic footage? You seem to be trying to calculate the latter.

Old 12-20-13, 10:55 AM
The application only asks for total square footage. So I assume for that I just measure width and length of each room and multiply, then add all together afterwards. I also assume the reason they ask for it is just so they can get an idea how long it might take them to walk around the place as part of the audit.

Old 12-20-13, 11:08 AM
Group Moderator
Yep, I would do the same thing.

When you started talking about ceilings, I started to think you were on the wrong track.

Old 12-20-13, 11:16 AM
Yes, it is that simple. Length time width of each room and add the areas of the separate rooms to get total square footage.

Old 12-20-13, 11:20 AM
Almost too easy. But got 'er done. Thanks