100 recessed lights

Old 01-04-14, 04:15 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
100 recessed lights

I see this is an old string, but I hope someone's still out there. My house was originally a ranch. They added a second floor and garage right before I bought it, and went NUTS with recessed lights. 100 is not exaggeration. There are 12 in the kitchen alone. I also feel drafts constantly. Not sure if it's from the ring or the big hole where the light bulb goes, or just my ghost making the air cold
Problem is, half of the can tops are in the no mans land space between original roof and new 2nd floor. Wiggle space vs crawl space. It does have a small access panel. I understand and empathize with the idea the original poster had about the shower trim. It'd be so much easier to just add a cover from below. Are there any magnetic covers out there that have glass like a shower fixture, and a wider, insulated ring to cover the little white one and block drafts from that source? If not I might invent one. Also, is the styrofoam idea valid/safe? Thanks

Old 01-05-14, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
Received 348 Votes on 301 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I moved your post to its own thread as the original one was 5 years old.

If you have access to the cans from above covering them with insulation is the best option. Just remember if they are not IC rated you have to keep any insulation 3" away from the can. Many people find that building some insulated Styrofoam boxes to cover the cans are a good option for insulation value, keeping the insulation away from the can, and reducing drafts/air transfer.

Another option is to install an air tight trim. This will create an air barrier between the inside and outside of the house to prevent air transfer, however the insulation value is very minimal as it is only a thin piece of metal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: