Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Holy Caulk, Weatherstripping, Foam batman... (help!)

IL

01-08-14, 08:52 AM   #1  
Holy Caulk, Weatherstripping, Foam batman... (help!)

Alright guys, I'm a bit overwhelmed with what is best here - so let me explain and provide some pictures.

Overall problem: My main room - family room/kitchen combo - has a really hard time retaining heat. There are cold drafts in the winter and the room is considerably colder than other rooms. It's pretty much a full wall of windows, a sliding glass door, and exposed brick... so there are more than one problem areas. I'm a novice here, but here's what I've determined those areas to be.

Problem #1: Gap between floorboard (wood) and wall (exposed brick). I currently have this partially stuffed with steel wool (mice) but definitely feel air coming in.

Name:  IMAG0286.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  19.1 KB

Solution #1: Caulk? Foam? Weatherstrip foam stuffed in there?

Problem #2: Above that same area, the exposed brick meets wood molding under the windows. There are gaps there as well, which as you can see I tried to fill with foam and made a mess.

Name:  IMAG0285.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  24.3 KB

Solution #2: Caulk? Foam? Weatherstrip foam stuffed in there?

Problem #3: Under sliding glass doors, there's a gap between the floorboard (wood) and the shoe molding (wood).

Name:  IMAG0289.jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  20.2 KB

Solution #3: Caulk? Foam? Weatherstrip foam stuffed in there?

Problem #4: Above sliding glass doors, the brick has receded leaving a gap between that and the wood paneling. There's flashing on the underside where the brick meets the wood.

Name:  IMAG0296.jpg
Views: 890
Size:  30.2 KB

Solution #4: Caulk? Foam? Weatherstrip foam stuffed in there?

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

01-08-14, 09:18 AM   #2  
The expanding foam does a better job of insulating but caulking does a neater looking job. I'd cut out any of the excess foam and use a clear siliconized acrylic latex caulk on most of it. Can you nail the shoe moulding any closer to the floor before you caulk it?

Heavy drapes over the windows will help some.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread