Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Three season sunroom to 4 season room

ME

02-10-15, 09:45 AM   #1  
Three season sunroom to 4 season room

Greetings!

I'm posting this to get input, opinions, info, etc.. I have a 3 season sunroom with cathedral ceilings (the rest of my home has these as well). The room has windows all around, and has 140sq ft of floor space. I am certain this room is insulated, the interior has drywall throughout as well as the ceiling which also has the textured plaster look to it that matches my home. The underside of the deck this was built on has plastic coming out from the sides of the plywood that was put underneath, which I suspect is also insulated. I'd like to use this room year around, so I plan to replace the floor (it needs it), trim moldings, and paint, and keep the door to it open. I plan to cut a small hole in the wall to confirm insulation, whats he best way to confirm the ceiling has it as well? Given it has a texture to it I don't want to cut any holes.

Before embarking on the small remodel, does anyone have advice? What I should do to ensure energy efficiency, etc.?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

VA

02-10-15, 10:10 AM   #2  
A cathedral ceiling is by far the least energy efficient type ceilings there is.
All the heat rises and gets trapped at the peak.
It's also one of the hardest to insulate.
In your area there needed to be R50 to R60 which is 12" or over of insulation.
Post some pictures, trying to figure out what your talking about when you say "The underside of the deck this was built on has plastic coming out from the sides of the plywood that was put underneath".
How was it built?
Slab on grade, piers, stem wall?

ME

02-10-15, 10:13 AM   #3  
Hi F1 and welcome to the forum, I see you are buried in snow like many of us.

Unfortunately, few sunrooms up here were built for the conversion you are planning. That doesn't mean it is impossible, jut that there are some issues.

Total insulation is one. Just finding insulation in the walls may not be enough, especially in the ceiling. And all of that glass will be hard to heat.

Do you know if the rafters are vented low (soffits) and high (somewhere)? Is this sunroom attached to the side of the house where those rafters dead end against a wall

If there is no venting you will definitely have a moisture problem once you add heat to this space. Warm air will be loaded with moisture that will find its way into those rafter cavities and condense into moisture.

So, the initial questions are:
1. Is there any venting in place in that vaulted ceiling?
2. How deep are those rafters, 2x6 or other?
3. An elevated floor with a cold space below will need to be well insulated and perfectly air sealed. What's down there?
4. Let us know how much insulation you find and note if there is a vapor barrier anywhere?

Bud

Group Moderator

NE

02-10-15, 10:23 AM   #4  
3 season rooms are called 3 season rooms because they are built to be 3 season rooms, not 4. What that usually means is that the floor, ceiling and walls are all underinsulated, the window perimeters probably aren't insulated, they may not be double pane or just may not be efficient enough to be warm enough to be usable year round. (for instance, an aluminum single pane slider)

You might be able to use it year round if you throw enough energy at it to try and keep it comfortable, but IMO trying to use those rooms year round in a cold climate is usually not realistic. A room like that is certainly NOT "energy efficient" nor can they usually be made that way. Its basically surrounded by outside air on 5 sides... 3 exterior walls, top and bottom.... and doors usually seal off the shared wall with the house, effectively cutting the room off from it's heat source. Also, if adequate HVAC or heat was not added to the room when it was built, it's hard to add that later.

A photo would help us get an idea of what you have.

Group Moderator

WI

02-10-15, 11:17 AM   #5  
Keep in mind that you will need to dump a lot of heat in there to make up for the fact that five of the six surfaces are outside surfaces.

Search this Thread