Door weatherstripping still leaking

Old 02-24-15, 03:44 PM
Door weatherstripping still leaking

I live in a 3 story town house. My first level which isn't underground is VERY cold compared to the other two levels. I replaced the weather stripping on the door to my garage which helped a draft there. I did the same on my front door. However, towards the middle of the door it's still letting in a lot of cold air. When I have the door closed and put my hand over this area I feel cold air coming in, even with my glass screen door closed behind that. If you look at the picture below, to the right of my finger is the vinyl weather stripping that slides into that lil nook in the door. That's what I purchased recently. Can I put another type of weather stripping like a peel and stick on the part of the door I am pointing to? I'm at a lost as to what to do. It doesn't seem like the gap in the middle of the door is wider then the top or the bottom which might make it so there isn't a great seal in the middle. What would you all recommend to get a nice seal on the door? A different kind of product?

Name:  2015-02-24 18.36.39.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  18.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-15, 08:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Pull the door knob in and out with the door closed to see if it moves.
If it does then open the door and look inside the latch plate to see if there's a rectangular shaped hole in the tab.
If there is, it's so you can use a flat bladed screw driver to bend the tab to make the door latch close to the seals.
No hole, it can still be removed and bent with a pair of plyers.
Short of that Lowes and Home Depot sell a kit that consist of 3, aluminum strips with built in vinyl seals.
It gets cut to fit with a hack saw and screwed to the jambs on the outside of the door.
The door must be closed and dead bolt set when it's install.

Old 02-24-15, 09:01 PM
Group Moderator
Do what Joe says, and also go on the outside and close the door and see if it is making contact where you are pointing, and all the way top to bottom. Adjusting the strike plate so that it pulls the door in a little tighter may just help. There are also several different thicknesses of the weatherstrip that you replaced. A wider one will have more cushion to it, but will also make the door harder to latch.