Screens letting bugs in

Old 06-04-16, 11:19 AM
E
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Screens letting bugs in

I have a new construction home and I am getting some bugs through the window screens when the window is open at night. I know I can spray around the window but I am looking for a more permanent solution. Is there any recommended gap filler for screen frames? I think this is mostly the problem as the window screen isn't exactly flush and sealed all around the window frame.

My Dad used to use this clay type weather stripping for around he interior crack for winter sealing. I am wondering if I can get a white colored one and do the same, my only doubts is when it rains it will start to dissolve away. Is there anything I can use to fill the gaps without being an eye sore, and without being too destructive in the event I need to remove the screen? Also, I assume there is probably some sort of draining design in the screen system frame. So I would want to make sure I don't seal it too tight at the bottom to where it would create sitting water.

I was also thinking maybe buying a roll of screen, and just rolling it up and packing it around the screen frame to create an extra barrier without trapping water. Maybe using hot glue or something to tack it in place.
Any ideas? Or any thing that already exists I can use?

Old 06-04-16, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
A new construction home.... with hopefully new windows.... and you have holes that need filling ?
Can you post a picture or two of the screen area ? http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Old 06-04-16, 12:58 PM
C
Received 169 Upvotes on 137 Posts
Are you sure they are getting in through gaps, or are they the tiny little bugs (we call them no-see-ums around here) that can get through standard screen? The do make finer mesh that will keep them out....but it reduces air flow too.

New screens shouldn't have big gaps.

Old 06-04-16, 01:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
If there are gaps - talk to the builder, it should be up to him to make whatever repairs would need to be done to keep the bugs out.

Old 06-04-16, 01:45 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
What kind of bugs are they? Bugs like asian beetles can plow their way past weather stripping.

Old 06-05-16, 01:25 AM
E
I was up painting late last night and had the window closed thankfully, and the light was on most the night. The next morning there were about 20 bugs waking around in there of ask different types.

Some were small that looked like they probably came through the screen itself. The others were just random ones that looked too big to come through the screen (quarter inch or more in size, nothing huge). I have four windows in that room and that was the only one with many in there.

Looking at the screen frame it looks a little crooked and it has the tension wires on top to push it down. There is one little area in the corner that looks like the screen is not seated, so it's about two screen squares worth wide. Hard to believe they would all sneak in through that but that could be it too.

I wI'll post some pictures tomorrow if it's worth it, and I do plan on telling the builder about it.

I notice some of the other windows a bug or two will get in so that why I was wondering also about some sort of gap sealer as the screen frames flex a little and move around so I think there are tiny areas that some can fit through (the ones that shouldn't fit through the screen itself).

Thanks for the responses.

Old 06-05-16, 01:41 AM
E
Old 06-05-16, 02:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
From your pictures it looks more like shade cloth not screeneing. Holes in screen look to big. Wait for the pro's to weigh in.

Old 06-05-16, 03:27 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I agree with Pugsl. That looks too large a mesh to be insect screen.

Name:  411f2c5280942998b58402954d523e35.jpg
Views: 13669
Size:  38.0 KB

Name:  c18.jpg
Views: 13254
Size:  32.7 KB

Old 06-05-16, 03:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Except for the last pic the screens appear to be installed properly [that window just needs the screen set in place better] Like pugsl I also thought the screen wire looked too big but maybe it's just the pic. It would help if you'd let us know where you live [not address or even city but region]

Old 06-05-16, 03:33 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Poster is in the Chicago area.

Old 06-05-16, 06:43 AM
Received 721 Upvotes on 640 Posts
That screen is standard fiberglass charcoal. Frame is not properly seated in the window. You asked if there was a material that you can use to seal the gaps. Yes there is. The same stuff A/C or electrical people use to seal around entry point into house. It's a putty like material that comes in a roll and can be molded to any shape. It's weather proof.

Old 06-06-16, 04:47 AM
E
Thanks everyone for the responses. I will look into what has been suggested.

Old 06-06-16, 04:51 AM
E
Thanks Norm, I will give that product a try. The frame is seated properly to what I can control, it might just be a flawed. I will let the builder know and see what they respond with and follow up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: