Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

can i remove the door stop 'strips' in the jamb to install new weatherstripping

CAL

07-12-17, 10:09 AM   #1  
can i remove the door stop 'strips' in the jamb to install new weatherstripping

I dont want to 'narrow' the entrance way by nailing the weatherstripping 'strips' on the old door stops.

Does it make sense to remove those old 3 strips of wood (how to pry off?) and simply replace them with the new nail down weatherstrips which basically are thin wood strips with weatherstripping.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

07-12-17, 10:31 AM   #2  
Doesn't work the way you're describing unless I'm missing something - the weather stripping faces the door, not the opening and therefore does not narrow the opening.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-12-17, 10:46 AM   #3  
You could remove the door stops and replace them with weatherstrip integrated stops but IMO it would be easier to just add the self adhesive weatherstripping to the existing stops.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Group Moderator

NE

07-12-17, 02:39 PM   #4  
Its a little hard to know what you currently have without seeing it. Yes, the nail on aftermarket weatherstrip that is nailed to the sides of the door jamb while the door is closed would narrow the opening slightly.

But I doubt the door stop is removable unless this is an interior door.

Newer doors have a kerf that the weatherstrip pushes into.

Older doors often had a nail-on felt weatherstrip that was sandwiched between the door and the stop.

CAL

07-13-17, 08:50 AM   #5  
these are exterior doors. they are old and had an integrated metal channel nailed in the door edge that engaged a metal channel nailed into the door stop edge.

why is the door stop NOT removable? isnt it 3 thin pieces of wood nailed to the jamb? or could it be glued on or even part of the jamb itself (that would be a waste of wood and milling when made?)

I removed that old metal edging and tried gluing some home depot type self adhesive stripping but the size is hard to get right... door doesnt close well

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-13-17, 09:01 AM   #6  
It depends on the door. Some are built with the stop being a separate piece while others have a single piece of wood cut with both profiles. Do you see a gap between the stop and jamb? it could be caulked. Posting a pic or two of what you have could be helpful.

Group Moderator

NE

07-13-17, 09:07 AM   #7  
Yes, as mark said, old doors were cut from a single thick piece of wood. There is no removable stop. Hard for us to say sight unseen, but its pretty standard that exterior doors do not have a removable stop.

CAL

07-13-17, 11:25 AM   #8  
thanks guys- its hard to believe they milled the door stops into the jamb in the 'old days' . there are several coats of paint so its hard to see if my stop is a seperate piece. I will follow your advice and post some pics.
If it is a seperate piece will I be able to slide a pry bar under it and remove the 3 old pieces or will i end up with a chewed up door frame?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-13-17, 12:56 PM   #9  
IF it's a separate door stop, you'd cut the caulk/paint bond with a utility knife and then carefully pull/pry the stop loose. Using a scrap piece of wood under the pry bar will help prevent damage to the jamb.

Group Moderator

NE

07-17-17, 03:50 PM   #10  
Not surprising... but thanks for posting back and letting us know.

Search this Thread