Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

attic insulation

Visiting Guest

06-14-01, 02:26 PM   #1  
dalangdon
I have a house built on slab that has cellulose insulation in the attic. The wiring is buried in this mess, and it's a real drag to get to when you need to do something (also, I don't know what all is in that cellulose, and I don't want to breathe too much of it)

I'd like to convert to fiberglass insulation strips, but it seems like there is a lot of debate on this issue. I thought it was just a matter of laying the stips across the rafters, but now I'm not so sure.

Is there rolled fiberglass insulation that has the vapor barrier built into it, so I can just roll it down and forget about it?

Sponsored Links

WA

06-14-01, 11:14 PM   #2  
You have told us everything but the info we really need. How deep is your present insulation? What is the current minimum amount of insulation for your area? (Ask you local bldg. dept.) If it were me, and adding more insulation were the objective, I would blow more cellulose over what you already have. Get a couple of estimates to find out what it would cost to have it done. Then find out what it would cost to buy unfaced fiberglass batts and install them yourself. If you have 6" (R-19) of insulation already and you need 12" (R-38), then you need to add 6" (R-19) batts, or have 6 more inches blown in. Make sure you are looking at UNFACED batts. You don't want to install a vapor barrier over the insulation you already have.

Visiting Guest

06-15-01, 07:50 AM   #3  
dalangdon
My hope is to get rid of the old insulation alltogether so that when I need to get do anything to the wiring I don't have to dig through a bunch of cellulose. Also, below that cellulose is vermiculite which, although it has been tested and doesn't show evidence of asbestos, is still a huge pain to deal with.

With that said, I believe that the recommendation for attic insulation in this area (Seattle) is R21.

So if I get all that old stuff removed and go with new fiberglass, what sort of fiberglass should I buy? Should I put down something between the sheetrock and the insulation?

WA

06-23-01, 09:56 PM   #4  
If digging through the cellulose and vermiculite is a pain, digging through fiberglass will be an itchy nightmare! Check with your local bldg. dept., or ask an insulation contractor, but I think you will find that Seattle requires something closer to R-38 for attic insulation. How often do you actually have to get into the wiring in the attic?

Search this Thread