window insulation

Old 10-26-01, 03:24 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hi,
We recently moved into our first home (preowned-built 1996) and this is our first winter in it. We have the vinyl windows that everyone told us should be absolutely wonderful at conserving heat. Well, some of the windows have a nasty draft from where the two frames overlap and I've had one window actually jump its channel on one side twice!! Are this things installed correctly? Is there anything I can do to improve insulation that will allow me to open the windows ocassionally?
Also, is it true that if I see water spots between the two panes of a double glazed window then the insulation is kaput and can only be fixed by a new window?
I am also having problems with a whopping draft from under my sliding doors. Is there any way of sealing this while allowing me to still use the doors?
If you can answer any or all of these questions I would be extremely grateful!
Thanks .
Liat

Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-01, 03:24 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello Liat. Welcome to the Do-It-Yourself Web Site and the Energy and Weatherstripping Forum.

Based upon the problem discriptions you posted, the windows do not seem to be installed correctly if the drafts you discribed are present.

There should not be moisture between the double panes either. The windows with this condition may have the ventillation breathing slots plugged or restricted.

The ventillation slots are located beneath the windows on the exterior frames and inside between the panes. The window or windows that do not glide open or closed easily or jump the frame may have conditions that only a prefessional can correct since it is likely they are not installed correctly.

It would be a good idea to contact the manufacturer and request a service person check those windows which are causing the problems. Possibly the windows are still under a warranty for defects and it may help to determine who installed them incorrectly.

I suggest you eliminate all other possibilities explained aboved, prior to any attempt by you to correct the conditions discribed. Doing so would maintain any orginal warranty.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Old 11-05-01, 01:22 PM
Go to the top of this page and click on editor's choice web links, then click on energy and weatherstripping and then click on Residential Energy Conservation, read topics "Windows" and "Air Boundary" At the top of each sash there should be a latches on each side. The function of these latches are to hold the window in and allow the window to tilt in to clean. The window that jumped out on you has the latch either stuck open or broken off. The latch that is in the middle is designed to make your window tight. What it does is push the outer sash up, the inner sash down and then pull them together. When the latch is closed, the window should have no movement. If it does, you should get those droplets where the two windows meet. The way to correct this is to put foam rubber under the inner sash and on top of the outer sash. This should take up any gap and make the window tighter. For the sliding glass door the easiest and least expensive thing to do is hang an insulated drape in front of the slider and put sand in the hem. This will keep out the drafts and allow you to use the door. The draw back is it may make the room dark during the day but it works. If you have any questions you could post one or contact from my site.