replace metal weatherstripping

Old 01-03-02, 04:29 AM
Question replace metal weatherstripping

I have two door issues.

The front door on my home has a metal weatherstipping that is like a tongue/groove. There is a tongue nailed around the face of door and the frame has a groove nailed to it's perimeter. seems to work pretty well except at the floor. for whatever reason the tongue strip that used to be nail to the bottom of the door (not the face) is missing. It used to line up with a groove in the threshold. now I get a lot of air under the door. I have slate tile in the entryway which gets very cold.

Can I replace the metal "tongue" on the bottom of the door? Home depot and the local hardware stores don't seem to carry anything like it. Should I change out the threshold? What else can I do for it.

I also have a rear door going from my kitchen to the garage. The doorway has no threshold and the vinyl flooring extends straight under the door. I put a rubber sweep on the door but it is damaging the vinyl and does not seal well. There isn't enough clearance under the door for adding a threshold. I am also concerned that people might trip on a threshold if I install one as it would sit on top of the flooring. How do I keep the cold air out?

any ideas are welcome.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-02, 07:58 AM
For the front door, installing a door sweep should resolve your problem and is easy and inexpensive. I don't know where you can but those metal strips, but if you did, you would have to remove the door to install it, which would be more expensive and a lot harder to do.

For the back door, use one of those vynal piece they use for transition from one floor to another, like carpet or wood. They are not very high off the floor, but will give you enough height to move up the door sweep so it doesn't drag on the floor. You just glue the transition piece to the floor, but before doing so, dry fit it first.

Search this Thread