Insulation

Old 01-16-02, 01:58 AM
Visiting Guest
Insulation

there was a room added to the front of my house that was a screen porch. then the owners closed it in, it is wood frame and the main house is block. the walls are 2x4s and they insulated them with fiberglass batting. but the ceilng is 2x6s joists with drywall for the finish inside, the roof comes off the excisting roof
with a slight slant to it. there is no attic space to this roof just the drywall, 2x6s,plywood and the roofing membrane. my question is how can i insulated the ceiling between the joist without tearing down the drywall, some way to blow it in????????????????

Old 01-16-02, 06:14 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yes, you could blow in insulation in that area. However, because of the space involved, the characteristics of insulation and the dominant heat transfer mechanism in cooling is radiant, I would recommend a radiant barrier for this application. If you search the web for "Radiant Barriers", you will find a lot of sites. I would also recommend contacting your local Utility on the subject. I do not pretend to be an expert with radiant barriers, but I am familiar with it's applications and purpose. Radiant barriers come in a variety of different forms, like sheets, boards, 1 sq.in. pieces and paint. Everything I read on the subject suggest that it works best with insulation.

I am assuming because of where you live, your concern is the heat radianting from the ceiling making the porch somewhat uncomfortable. Also, on those very cool days, you probably find it difficult to heat that area. The difficulty in heating that area has more to do with the amount of windows than insulation. Because of this, insulation in that area will have very little value in addressing your concern and a radiant barrier will. Furthermore, some radiant barriers do have a "R" value, like sheets and boards. Therefore it can assists you in heating the area.

Since you don't want to take down the sheet rock and neither would I in this case, you could apply the radiant barrier to the ceiling and cover it with either1/4 sheet rock, paneling or ceiling tiles.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: