exterior door weatherstrip

Old 02-11-02, 08:46 PM
llleslie
Visiting Guest
Question exterior door weatherstrip

I have an existing wood door that has no weatherstripping. I would like to install the type that is two pieces, (one on the door, the other on the frame) that interlock when the door is closed.

I have only seen these on new metal doors and do not know where to find it. Is this type available for existing doors, and if so where?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-02, 05:06 AM
The one you're referring to is known as a metal tongue and groove weather-stripping. You have to be quite experienced to install one because of the difficulty in doing so. This is the reason why you won't find it anywhere, plus there is weather-stripping out there that is just as good but easier and less expensive to install.

With metal doors they use a magnetic weather-stripping, very similar to the magnetic door seal on your refrigerator. You can find them usually at lumber yards or hardware stores. If they don't carry them, they can usualy order it for you.

At the same places, for wood doors, they have a vynal weather-stripping, just like the ones for the metal doors, it involves replacing the door stops on the jamb and replacing it with the new stops that have the weather-stripping attached.

The real advantages to these over the metal tongue and groove is the ease of installation, cost and maintenance. The problem with the metal tongue and groove system is people would inadvertently bend the stripping, like when moving in furniture, and forced the door closed without realizing the metal is bent. Over a period of time, the metal would break and because of the cost to repair, people would use some other type of weather-stripping.