Tankless Hot Water Heaters

Old 04-05-02, 02:38 PM
cvvjr48
Visiting Guest
Tankless Hot Water Heaters

we are replacing an aged hot water heater. For space and energy reasons, we are considering a tankless hot water heater. In researching this product, I have discovered that there are an abundance of products. Can you offer some advice or a recommendation for a tankless hotwater heater. We have a 2.5 bathroom house.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-02, 05:40 PM
You can go to http://www.tankless-water-heater.com/what_to_expect.htm and it explains what to expect from electric water heaters. The biggest problem with these are the settings and people attitudes with hot water. Most people like adding cold water to hot water to get their desired temperature for showering. With these electric heater you're not supposed to add cold water when showering. This takes a little getting used to and most people won't advise their guests on how to take a shower in their home. They will after their guest takes one.

Then there are the natural gas tankless water heaters that provide the temperatures we're used to. The only real problem I see with them is gas water columns. Most residential homes don't have the gas service to their homes that these tankless water heater require. If you intend to go with one, check first with the manufacturer what are the required gas water columns and then with your local utility to determine if they can provide that service in your area.

I usually don't advise people on tankless water heaters unless I have more information, like how many people in the home and/or large whirl pool tub, etc. If you give me the information, I'll tell you what I would do.

Old 04-05-02, 09:22 PM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: cvvjr48

Personally, I am not a fan of tankless water heaters. This does not mean to imply the units are not operationally dependable. They do have minor benefits over a tank type unit.

The major reasons I do not recommend these type of units is parts availability and service after the sale. Some parts of the country have a lack of dealers, service agents & plumbers experienced in repairs of these units.

The residential type units operation on standard house gas pressure, which is 7-10 inches of water column pressure. Since the house already has natural gas and the existing unit is being replaced, the tankless unit will operate on the existing pressure.

Check the local codes and the gas utility prior to the purchase.

Within the archives, in the plumbing forum, there are several topics with posted replies on this subject.

Regards & Good Luck
Gas Appliances Forum Moderator
Tom_Bart Company Enterprises.....TCB4U2B2B
Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.
Alway's consider the warranties and future service needs for any major appliances your considering to purchase. Price isn't always the best guide for long term appliance investments.

Old 04-10-02, 07:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I checked a few out before I bought a natural gas 40 gal. The tankless was $500 for the heater and since it needed a 4 inch vent thru the roof or a power vent out the wall I had to add another $240 for the power vent. I paid $175 for the 40 gal tank that has an average annual cost of $161 to operate. I think it would have taken more than few years to pay for the tankless.