Insulation

Old 04-17-02, 12:53 AM
fixrupper
Visiting Guest
Insulation

I am remodeling a old house with no insulation in attic. I have rewired the electrical system, putting 2) 2 tube fluorescent lights in the kitchen ceiling. They generate a lot of heat. I want to blow cellulose insulation into the attic space and am concerned about the above lights igniting the insulation. What are my options? Fiberglass batts? Should I make some sort of surround around these lights to keep insulation off them? If so, what kind?
Thanks in advance for your response.
Also, should I place some kind of protection around each electrical junction box and light fixture box?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-02, 07:37 AM
Every electrical fixture should have a warning on it concerning fire hazards, especially incandescent fixtures. With fluorescent lighting that is usually not a concern but I suggest you read the warnings that came with the instructions. If you installed it correctly, you can probably insulate over it. The two concerns here are exposed wiring and moisture. Encasing the fixture in an air tight box will resolve both concerns and insulate over the box. As far as your electrical boxes there should be no problem with insulating over them. Just make sure warm air from the home cannot enter the box and condense. An example is let's say an electrical wire comes up through a hole in the ceiling and then enters the electrical box. The hole in the ceiling is large enough to allow air to go through it and enter the electrical box. If this is warm air during the winter, it will probably condense. The solution here is to seal the hole around the electrical wire so air cannot go through it.

It doesn't matter if you use cellulose of fiber glass as long as you follow the instructions carefully and read the warnings.

Old 04-18-02, 10:55 PM
Conserve NRG
Visiting Guest
The reccessed light fixtures should be IC (Insulation Coverage)rated.
If they are not you must provide a dam around the fixture to prevent insulation from covering it.
Ensure that the fixture has enough space to vent heat away.
Most newer fixtures have a heat sensor/temperature switch (I forget its real name right now). Anyway, if the heat produced by the bulb gets to a certain temerature the switch turns the light off until the temperature drops to a safe level. If this occurs than you know the fixure needs air space to vent its heat.