Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Exterior Caulking Recommendation

WA

07-17-02, 08:09 AM   #1  
Exterior Caulking Recommendation

I need to recaulk my exterior. What do you recommend for wood to wood and for wood to concrete applications?

A latex product would be preferable.

The existing wood to concrete caulk seems to be a "gritty" type. The exterior is dirty... should I pressure wash or hand wash areas first and with what. Some of the existing caulk is separated.

Sponsored Links

NJ

07-17-02, 08:50 PM   #2  
Your acrylic latex or latex can be used for exterior but are better suited for interior use. They do have a tendancy to shrink if not painted and for exterior use it is good to use on narrow gaps.

My personal favorite is butyl rubber for exterior use. It's a little bit more difficult to use and should not be applied in temperatures above 85 degrees F. What I like about it is that it remains flexible for a prolong period of time.

Another common one is silicone. It's good but you usually can't paint.

Another is polysulfide, it sets instantly but only adheres to manufacturer's suggested primers.

Polyurethane doesn't need a primer but it contains toluene diisocyanate. You have to avoid inhaling the fumes and skin contact.

Search this Thread